Σελίδες

16 Ιουλ 2014

THINK BIG: Books on my Nightstand


The Fault in our Stars: A young adult novel everyone was talking about, that I avoided to read until I heard its movie adaptation was about to hit the big screens in Greece. I thought that it would be another heart-breaking, chick flick full of sweet teenage romance - cancer drama, as the heroes fall in love while they give their battles against cancer, which might not appeal to my age or taste.

 

And then I said hey, it’s summer and I enjoy relaxing with chick flick movies, but as always I HAD TO READ THE BOOK FIRST. So, I did and I was so WRONG! It’s a book packed with tragic realism and bluntness that sometimes made it so painful to read, but I kept reading non-stop until I reached the last page. The harsh realities of life as a teenage cancer patient, including fears, physical flaws and humiliations, emotional ordeals, the relationships with family, friends, doctors are exposed very honestly through the voice of a very mature, sarcastic, slightly rebellious teenage girl.

I kept stopping to underline phrases and then re-read paragraphs, as Hazel, Augustus and Isaac were wrestling with the big issues of cancer and life"Cancer kids are essentially side effects of the relentless mutation that made the diversity of life on earth possible." p.49, death: "Nostalgia is a side effect of dying, he answered" p.235, loss and grief : "Grief does not change you, Hazel. It reveals you" p.285 and lasting love:  "Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn’t trade it  for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I am grateful" p. 259 

The Fault in Our Stars is a hip, smartly crafted page turner with an unexpected story twist and razor-sharp characters, but it is NOT another cancer book. It’s a painfully beautiful story about life, illness, loss and true love in between and you should expect to laugh, cry, think deep and ask to re-read.

* Τhe above photo was taken for personal use. Please just make sure to link back to my blog, if you use the above image.

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου